Executive Head Chef, Jonathan Keane at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, shares his delicious recipe for bacon and cabbage. A great dish to impress your friends and family with.
If you enjoyed following the recipe below, we would love you to share your pictures with us, tagging @TheLodgeAshford on your Instagram post.
The below recipe serves 4.
Preparation time is 30 minutes and cooking time is 45 minutes.
For the bacon
1 x 800g eye of the loin bacon
- Cover in cold water, bring to the boil, discard water and wash bacon in cold water.
- This will reduce the salt content in the bacon.
- Cover the bacon in cold water a second time and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 32 minutes.
For the cabbage
1 head savoy cabbage finely shredded and 50g butter
- Once the bacon is cooked, add the cabbage to this water and reboil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and keep warm.
- Remove cabbage and cool under running cold water.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan and toss the cabbage in this butter to heat.
For the mash
- 500g potatoes cooked and mashed, 5 scallions, 75g diced chorizo, 50g butter, 50ml cream and 25ml olive oil
- Bring butter, cream, oil, scallions and chorizo to the boil
- Reduce a little and fold in cooked mashed potatoes.
- Season with a little salt and pepper to serve.
The parsley sauce
1-litre milk warmed, 50g butter, 50g plain flour, 50g flat parsley and a pinch white pepper
- Melt the butter over low heat in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring all the time.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time until a sauce consistency is reached.
- Add a little of the bacon water to flavour.
- Add finely chopped parsley just before serving.
- Spoon some of the mash into the centre of a large plate.
- Slice the bacon into 1.5 cm thick slices. Place 2 slices on the mash.
- Pour over the sauce.
- Top with cabbage.
- Garnish with confit cherry tomato and chorizo.