At Ashford Castle, we use organic produce from our most trusted suppliers. The chicken for this recipe was sourced from our supplier Sean Ring and the cider is also organic, from Highbank Medieval.
If you enjoyed this recipe, share your photos with us by tagging @AshfordCastle on Instagram. You can also follow Executive Chef Philippe Farineau on Instagram @philippe_farineau.
- 1 chicken
- 1 bottle of cider
- 250g crème fraiche
- 3 large organic shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 organic cinnamon stick
- 1 yellow organic onion, thinly sliced
- 200g organic carrots, sliced or diced
- 200g organic button mushrooms
- Chopped garlic, a little
- 60g organic walnut (pieces)
- 10cl apple wine (you can use sherry if you can t find apple wine)
- Slice the chicken into 8 pieces and marinate with the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cider for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours. You can leave for longer if desired.
- Afterwards, remove the chicken from the marinade, dry and seal it in a hot pan with coconut oil or olive oil.
- When the chicken is cooked, put it back in the marinade and add thinly chopped onion, shallots and carrots.
- Cook in the oven at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes (with a lid).
- In the meantime, roast the button mushroom in a very hot pan until nicely brown in colour and add a little garlic.
- Roast the chopped walnut in coconut oil for few minutes or in the oven for 10 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the chicken, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Reduce the juice by half and then add the crème fraiche.
- Reduce again until the sauce is a smooth consistency.
- Add some of the apple wine, then the roasted button mushroom on top and the roasted walnut.
Serve with your desired sides... bon appetite!